The Hong Kong Student Services Association
1. The name of the organization shall be "The Hong Kong Student Services Association".
1. The objects of the Association shall be:-
a. To advance, develop and strengthen student service work among members;
b. To assist students in better fulfilling their educational goals through provision of service; and
c. To promote interaction and cooperation among persons in student service work in Hong Kong and abroad.
1. There shall be the following categories of members:-
a. Full member
Any person who holds a full-time appointment in a tertiary education institution in Hong Kong at the time of membership registration or renewal and has demonstrable interest in student services shall be eligible to be a full member of the Association. (amended in AGM 2018/19)
b. Associate member
Any person who has a demonstrable interest in student services and whose full-time appointment is not in a tertiary education institution shall be eligible for associate membership.
c. Honorary member
Honorary member of the association shall be conferred on such persons as nominated by the Executive Committee and approved by the Annual General Meeting of the Association.
IV. PRIVILEGES OF MEMBERS
1. All members shall have the privilege to attend Annual General Meetings and other functions and activities organized by the Association.
2. All full members of the Association may participate in and vote at Annual General Meetings and Extra-ordinary General Meetings and may nominate and be nominated for election for office in the Executive Committee.
V. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
1. An Annual General Meeting shall be held in March every year to:-
a. receive and adopt minutes of previous Annual and Extra-ordinary General Meetings;
b. receive an annual report from the Chairperson;
c. receive a financial statement from the Honorary Treasurer;
d. elect members of the Executive Committee;
e. elect Honorary members; and
f. appoint an auditor and
g. deal with any other matters related to the development of the Association.
2. The Annual General Meeting shall be convened by the Chairperson of the Association with at least 14 days of notice. Notice and agenda of the meeting shall be sent to all members.
3. The quorum of the Annual General Meeting shall be one fifth of its full members and voting shall be by simple majority. The Chairperson shall have a casting vote.
VI. EXTRA-ORDINARY GENERAL MEETING
1. Extra-ordinary Meeting shall be convened by the Chairperson at the request of the Executive Committee or any full member of the Association seconded by five other full members.
2. The meeting shall comprise of only full members of the Association.
3. No other agenda shall be discussed except those convened especially for the purpose.
4. Notice and agenda of the Meeting shall be sent to all members at least seven days before the meeting.
5. The quorum of the meeting shall be one fifth of its full members and voting shall be by simple majority. The Chairperson shall have a casting vote.
VII. THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
1. There shall be an Executive Committee to formulate and implement policies of the Association.
2. The Executive Committee shall comprise of the following:-
c. Hon. Secretary
d. Hon. Treasurer, and
e. Not less than Seven and not more than Twelve other members, one of them shall be the Immediate Past Chairperson. (amended in AGM 2018/19)
3. The Chairperson shall be the chief executive of the Association and shall be responsible for conducting Annual and Extra-ordinary General Meetings and meetings of the Executive Committee.
4. The Vice-Chairperson shall assist the Chairperson in performance of duties and shall act as Chairperson when the Chairperson is absent.
5. The Hon. Secretary shall be responsible for the keeping of minutes of meetings and other records of the Association.
6. The Hon. Treasurer shall be responsible for the keeping of all accounts of the Association.
7. The Executive Committee shall meet not less than two times in a year. Quorum of and voting in the Committee shall be by simple majority. The Chairperson shall have a casting vote.
8. The Executive Committee shall have the power to form sub-committees and to coopt members for the Executive Committee and its sub-committees as and when required.
9. All members shall be elected for a term of one year. Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Hon. Treasurer and Hon. Secretary shall not hold the same position in the Executive Committee for more than three consecutive years.
VIII. ELECTION OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
1. Members of the Executive Committee shall be elected in the Annual General Meeting. Notice of open nomination for the posts of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Hon. Secretary and Hon. Treasurer shall be sent to all members at least 14 days before the date of election. Nomination shall be closed twenty-four hours before the date of election provided that at least one nomination has been received for each respective post.
2. Nomination for other members in the Executive Committee shall be made in the Annual General Meeting.
3. Nomination for Election shall be made on forms provided for the purpose. Each form shall contain the names and signatures of the candidate, a proposer and a seconder.
4. Only full members of the Association shall have the right to stand for election and to act as proposers and seconders for persons standing for election.
5. Voting shall be by a show of hands and shall be by simple majority. Under exceptional circumstances, the Annual General Meeting may decide to conduct voting by secret ballot.
6. In case of vacancies other than the post of Chairperson in the Executive Committee during a term of office, the Executive Committee shall have the power to coopt full members to fill the vacancies. In the case when the post of Chairperson becomes vacant during a term of office, the Vice-Chairperson shall become the Chairperson.
IX. MEMBERSHIP SUBSCRIPTION AND USE OF FUNDS
1. With exception of honorary members, all other members shall be required to pay a membership subscription. The amount of subscription for full members and associate members shall be decided by the Annual General Meeting.
2. Funds of the Association shall only be used for
a. activities organized by the Association; and
b. such other activities that will enhance the development of the Association.
X. LIABILITY OF MEMBERS
Members of the Association shall only be liable to the accounts for the year during which they are members as approved by the Annual General Meeting.
1. The Association shall not be dissolved except by a motion carried in an Extra-ordinary General Meeting and with a two-third-majority vote of those present.
2. In the event of dissolution of the Association, all assets after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities and property whatever, shall not be paid to or distributed among the members, but shall be given to such or any of such charitable institutions or trusts of a public character as may be approved for the purpose by the Commissioner of Inland Revenue.
XII. INTERPRETATION AND AMENDMENT OF CONSTITUTION
1. The interpretation of the provisions of this Constitution shall be vested in the Executive Committee. (amended in AGM 2018/19)
2. This constitution shall not be amended except by a motion carried at the Annual General Meeting or the Extra-ordinary General Meeting.
The address of the Association shall be the University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
Last Modified: Mar 2019